This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and The Coca-Cola Company. All opinions are mine alone #SmartWayToShareJoy #CollectiveBias
What’s your favorite things about the holidays? I have a hard time putting my finger on just what makes the holiday season the best time of the year. Is it the bright lights of decorated stores? Is it the thrill of the hunt for the perfect gift? Is it participating in holiday traditions that are meaningful? I think it’s all of those things and more. The best thing about the holiday season is spending time with those that you love.
Smart Way to Share Joy
The holidays can be a stressful time for some. We feel unnecessary pressure to have our homes look “just so” or bring the “perfect gift” to the work gift exchange. My secret for less stress during the holiday season is to take advantage of the great deals found at Family Dollar. By purchasing every day items from Family Dollar, like special holiday edition Coca-Cola products, you can save a little money that can be put toward other things during the holidays (like that never ending wishlist your kids have, am I right?).
Another way you can maximize your holiday budget is to give meaningful gifts. I love beautiful stationary or a homemade treat, and neither of those things have to put your funds in a bind. One of my choice gifts to give is my easy Peppermint Holiday Bark. A large batch can be made in advance and broken up to gift to several people on your list. Who could say no to chocolate and peppermint?
Peppermint Holiday Bark
- 1 lb. of baking chocolate
- 1 lb. of white baking chocolate
- Peppermint extract
- 1 lb. soft peppermints
- Baking Sheet
- Wax paper
- Melt 3/4 lb. of baking chocolate in either microwave or by using double boiler method. I prefer microwave because it’s faster and I’m impatient!
- Combine melted chocolate with remaining 1/4 lb. of baking chocolate. Stir in 2-3 drops of peppermint extract. Stir together until all is melted. This will help the chocolate remain firm at room temperature.
- Pour onto baking sheet that has been covered in wax paper. Set in freezer to harden (about 30 minutes).
- Complete steps 1 and 2 with the white baking chocolate.
- Crush peppermints for topping (I like to use a rolling pin to crush them in a closed zip top bag).
- Remove chocolate from freezer and pour white chocolate on top of it.
- Cover with crushed peppermints, then put it back in the freezer to harden (another 30 minutes).
- Remove from freezer, break apart, enjoy!
Who is on Your List?
What I love about homemade gifting during the holidays is that it means so much. When I receive or make a present for someone, I know that it took them time and energy to make it. The cost is irrelevant. Giving joy and receiving joy from someone in return is what it’s all about for me.
While gathering your ingredients to make this irresistible dessert, don’t forget to grab a limited edition Coca-Cola product complete with holiday packaging! I’ve always loved that iconic polar bear image that only comes around during the holiday season. Which limited edition packaging is your favorite? Who would you share my easy Peppermint Holiday Bark with? Just over a month to go until Christmas!