During the summer, my kids had the run of the pantry. It was too easy to just let them eat whenever they wanted because we didn’t really have a schedule we had to stick to. We got used to “grazing” all day long, and getting back into a routine, much less a new routine when we added school to the mix, has been a little difficult for us.
After School Snack Recipe
Thankfully, I know I can always count on this delicious after school snack recipe to be there for me when my kids are “starving.” I’ve been eating Goldfish crackers for as long as I can remember (and if I’m honest, I still sneak from my kids’ stash every now and then), and I love that I can share this smart snack option with my kids too. My girls are especially partial to the cheddar and pretzel mix, so I thought it might be fun to add a little something extra to their after school snack.
Snack Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make your own Popcorn Ball Treats:
- 2 cups popped popcorn
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup Goldfish crackers (flavor of your choice)
- 3 tablespoons butter
1. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup mini marshmallows, 1 cup Goldfish crackers, ¼ cup chocolate chips, and popcorn. Add additional mix options during this step if desired. Set aside.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, combine 2 cups mini marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of butter. Heat at 30 second intervals until melted.
3. Immediately begin to stir in dry mixture with the marshmallow/butter mixture. Sarah’s Tip: Use cooking spray or flour on your hands as well as your spatula to prevent sticking.
4. Use your hands to form mixture into balls. Set on wax paper or plates after forming.5. Optional: Melt remaining ¼ cup of chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of butter and drizzle over popcorn balls as a sweet topping.
Easy After School Snack
These fun treats can be eaten immediately or wrapped in wax paper and stored in the refrigerator for later snacking. Whenever I make an after school snack for my kids, I always try to choose something that would be a great compliment to the fresh produce I pick up at Walmart each week.After school can bring on a snack attack, but my Popcorn Treat Balls are a great way to hold your kids over until dinnertime. How do you manage after school snacking in your house? Share your tips with me in the comments or by connecting with me on Facebook or Twitter!