Universal Orlando Resort will be opening it’s theme parks again in June of 2020. The COVID-19 pandemic caused an unprecedented closure of theme parks, restaurants, hotels, and more across the world. Universal Orlando Resort was no exception. This article shares what is re-opening at Universal Orlando and when.
What is Re-Opening at Universal Orlando?
Universal Orlando was one of the first theme park companies to begin opening its property to the public after the COVID-19 pandemic forced its closure back in March.. Universal CityWalk was able to reopen, to a degree, in early May. Rules and restrictions were put in place to protect the public and employees. Find out what else will re-open when the resort fully opens next month.
What is Open at Universal CityWalk?
First and foremost, Universal Orlando followed a similar procedure as Walt Disney World in submitting its proposal to reopen. It just happened to submit its proposal, and get government approval, first.
Currently, only the following restaurants and entertainment venues are open at Universal Orlando CityWalk daily from 4-10pm:
- Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Restaurant and Market
- Cold Stone Creamery
- Hot Dog Hall of Fame
- Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville
- NBC Sports Grill & Brew
- Red Oven Pizza Bakery
- VIVO Italian Kitchen
- Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen
- Voodoo Doughnut mobile ordering available
- Hart & Huntington Tattoo Company (retail only)
- Universal Studios Store and select merchandise carts
- Hollywood Drive-In Golf
Complimentary self-parking is available, but valet parking is not. When the theme parks reopen, hours of operation for CityWalk change to 8am-10pm daily.
When will the Theme Parks Open?
In addition to CityWalk being open, all three of Universal Orlando’s theme parks will open June 5, 2020. There are team member previews and guest previews for annual passholders scheduled a few days prior to public opening.
Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, and Volcano Bay will all open to the public on June 5, 2020.
Are the Universal Orlando Hotels Open?
Another exciting announcement was recently made for Universal Orlando Resort. On June 2, 2020 the following hotels will be open for bookings:
- Hard Rock Hotel
- Loews Royal Pacific Resort
- Loews Sapphire Falls Resort
- Cabana Bay Beach Resort
- Aventura Hotel
- Endless Summer Resort – Surfside Inn and Suites
The opening of these hotels is very encouraging news. Guests who are not local will be better able to plan a trip knowing they will have a place nearby to stay. The two remaining hotels, Loews Portofino Bay Hotel and Universal’s Endless Summer Resort – Dockside Inn and Suites, will be opening at a later time.
What to Expect When Visiting Universal Orlando
Another consideration for guests will be their expectations. Travel as we used to know it is going to look very different, at least for the next few months. Universal Orlando is no exception. The following quote is taken directly from the FAQ section of the Universal Orlando website:
- Guests and team members are required to wear face coverings
- Guests and team members are required to undergo temperature checks. Anyone with a temperature of 100.4 degrees or greater will not be able to enter Universal CityWalk or the theme parks
- Staggered parking within the parking garage to help create distance between travel groups
- Limiting and reducing daily park attendance and attraction ridership in Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure and Universal’s Volcano Bay
- Increasing cleaning and disinfection of food locations, ride vehicles and other frequent “touch points” that go beyond our already-aggressive cleaning procedures
- Social distancing at all locations through the parks, within attractions and queues and at restaurants
- Having Virtual Line™ experiences available for select attractions
- Offering cashless payments and “no touch” policies where possible
Planning Your Universal Orlando Vacation
In short, don’t let all of these changes overwhelm your vacation planning. My travel partner, Get Away Today, has great deals on Universal Orlando packages. Check out their current special Universal Orlando Resort ticket offer of 2 days free when purchasing a 2-day, 2-park ticket!
Will you be heading to Universal Orlando any time soon?